The ESL Writer’s Handbook is a reference work for ESL students who are taking college-level courses. Because its purpose is to provide help with the broad variety of writing questions students may have when working on school assignments, the text focuses on
English for Academic Purposes. Unlike other handbooks on the market, this book’s sole purpose is to address the issues of second language learners.
This spiral-bound Handbook complements a student writer’s dictionary, thesaurus, and grammar reference book. It would be suitable as a text for an advanced ESL writing course when used together with the companion Workbook (978-0-472-03404-8). The Handbook is concise and easily navigated; is accessible, with clear and direct explanatory language; features information on both APA and MLA styles (including a sample paper for each); and includes many examples from ESL student writers to provide realistic models.
Included as special features in the Handbook are:
• The topic selection is based on ESL writers’ needs as observed by the authors over many years.
• The coverage of topics is more complete than the limited amount usually provided for ESL writers in first language or L1 handbooks.
• The explanatory language is appropriate for ESL students, in contrast to the more complex and idiomatic language of other English handbooks.
• The level of detail is more manageable for ESL students, compared to what is in other English handbooks.
- Many of the examples of paragraphs, essays, research papers, and exercise sentences were written by ESL students; this encourages users of this Handbook to realize that they can also become effective writers.