A highly communicative approach to Intermediate Russian grounded in everyday culture and authentic texts
Etazhi uses the communicative approach to advance student’s Russian proficiency from the Novice High / Intermediate Low level of the ACTFL scale to an Intermediate Mid / Intermediate High level. Designed for one academic year of instruction, Etazhi engages students with highly relevant topics to internalize new vocabulary, expand their grammatical reach, and deepen their cultural understanding of Russian speakers.
Chapters on Russian daily life, travel, dating and marriage, clothing, cuisine, health and medicine, education, holiday traditions, and careers are infused with humor and help students acquire the vocabulary and cultural nuance needed to discuss Russian literature, culture, and the arts. Hundreds of authentic texts, photographs, and illustrations gathered from across the Russian Federation–including authentic material written by real people about their experiences in Russia–show the diversity of Russian speakers, culture, and society. Each of the six chapters contains approximately fifty exercises that help students practice the four basic language skills–listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
This textbook improves vocabulary and grammar while promoting deeper cultural competency, preparing students to study abroad, and providing a firm foundation for advanced courses.
Special features include:
- Audio transcripts to aid in comprehension checks (available for free on the Press's website)
- A grammar reference with charts and tables, including case and verb charts
- An extensive Russian-English glossary
- Over 120 authentic photographs and hand-drawn images by a Russian artist
- A sample of presentation materials and a sample exam for chapter one to aid instructors (available for free on the Press's website)