ABOUT THIS BOOK
University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 133
Point of Pines Pueblo has long been the center of theoretical debates in southwestern archaeology, yet detailed descriptions of the site have been lacking. Located on the San Carlos Apache Reservation in central Arizona, this large Mountain Mogollon village (about 800 rooms) dates from AD 1200 to 1400. For the first 100 years of occupation it was a multiethnic community and is often referenced in discussions of aggregation, community organization, migration, and ethnic interaction. In Point of Pines Pueblo Tammy Stone details the architectural structures and cultural materials at the site, providing a body of information never before published.
From 1947 to 1960, Point of Pines Pueblo was excavated by the University of Arizona field school under the direction of Emil Haury. Data from that work were housed at the Arizona State Museum Archives. Stone draws from those original excavation notes to present detailed descriptions of each architectural structure and extramural feature along with information on the associated artifacts, dated dendrochronology samples, and ethnobotanical samples unearthed at the site. A rich source of raw data, this book will serve as a valuable resource for years to come.