How to Save a River presents in a concise and readable format the wisdom gained from years of river protection campaigns across the United States. The book begins by defining general principles of action, including getting organized, planning a campaign, building public support, and putting a plan into action. It then provides detailed explanations of how to:
How to Save a River
- form an organization and raise money
- develop coalitions with other groups
- plan a campaign and build public support
- cultivate the media and other powerful allies
- develop credible alternatives to damaging projects
provides an important overview of the resource issues involved in river protection, and suggests sources for further investigation. Countless examples of successful river protection campaigns prove that ordinary citizens do have the power to create change when they know how to organize themselves.