1. What Is International Environmental Law?
2. How We Got Here: A Brief History
3. Diagnosing the Causes of Environmental Problems
4. Prescribing the Cure: Environmental Policy 101
5. Varieties of Environmental Norms
6. Who’s Who in the Legal Process
7. Overcoming Obstacles to International Cooperation
8. Negotiating Agreements
9. Customary (and Not So Customary) Norms
10. How and Why Do States Implement Their Commitments?
11. International Carrots and Sticks
12. Is International Environmental Law Effective?
Conclusion: Taking Stock
Treaties and Other Instruments